Young People’s Resources
If you’re looking for some inspiration or a little guidance, you’ve come to right place! Here you can find Sir Jack’s very own guidance notes, which will help motivate you to achieve!
- pdfNotes from Sir Jack Petchey
- pdfGoal setting – set yourself manageable goals across 5 weeks
- pdfAchievements log – track your achievements and take pride in your progress
- pdfJob goals – set yourself goals to get to your desired career
- pdfMy qualities – take the time to remind yourself of your top qualities
- pdfSkills shortlist – make a list of your top skills to remind yourself what you're good at
- pdfSolutions log – if ever something doesn't go to plan, always look for the best solution
- pdfStep towards the career you want
- pdfVolunteering log – if you have been volunteering, be sure to track your hours
Goal Guidelines with Sir Jack Petchey
A new school year means new goals! We know it can be hard to plan how you will achieve your goals, so the team at the Foundation and Sir Jack Petchey CBE are here to help.
Sir Jack says: “The best way to achieve a goal is to break it down into manageable steps. I have set myself many goals over my life and the deciding factor in whether I achieved my goal or not was the planning I put in.”
There are various techniques; one of Sir Jack’s favourites is the 5W 1H method. Here’s how he used it to set up Petchey Car Hire, his first business.
Who – who will be completing this goal?
I Sir Jack Petchey
What – what is your goal? What do you want to achieve?
Will start a car hire business
Where – where will you complete this goal?
In East London
When – when will you start and when will you complete this goal?
I’ll set to work on it straight away and have it running in 1948
Why – why do you want to achieve this goal – why is it important?
Because I want to be my own boss
How – How will you achieve this goal?
I will invest my war discharge pension in a second hand car
Of course, Jack achieved his goal and Petchey Car Hire was very successful.
Another technique we like to use at the Foundation is SMART, this is very similar to the 5W 1H method. The letters stand for:
Here’s a video explaining how you can reach your goals with SMART!