Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of questions that should help you in planning and running this scheme.
How does the scheme work?
- Young people in participating schools / clubs nominate and select an inspiring adult to receive a Leader Award,
- Once a leader has been chosen the JPF Coordinator tells us by completing our short and simple online application form.
- A Grants Officer will review the decision and we will send an email notification to the JPF Coordinator approving the award.
- The Leader Award winner will be publicly thanked and recognised at one of our celebration events where they are congratulated on stage in front of friends and family.
What are the benefits of being part of the scheme?
Adults who receive a Leader Award will be honoured at a Jack Petchey Foundation celebration event and presented with a certificate and medallion.
In addition, by participating in this scheme, your organisation will be offered the opportunity to apply for a small grant once a year, worth up to £750
Who can win a Leader Award?
Any volunteer or paid adult within your school or youth organisation can win a Leader Award if they:
- Have been selected for recognition by young people themselves.
- Have demonstrated, in an outstanding way, an ability to encourage and motivate young people aged 11 – 25 within London or Essex.
- Work regularly with your young people.
- Are at least 21 years old.
- Have been involved in your organisation for at least one year.
- Have not won the Leader Award previously for your school or club.
Examples of Leader Award recipients include paid and volunteer youth workers, school teachers, teaching assistants, community leaders, volunteers, support staff, care takers, sport coaches, music teachers.
How should we choose the Leader Award winners?
So long as young people are at the heart of the decision-making, we are flexible about how Leader Award winners are nominated and selected. We encourage you to use a system that will work well within your school or youth organisation. If you have any questions, please give your Grants Officer a call – we’re always happy to help!
How do I apply?
Once the young people in your organisation have selected a leader, your JPF Achievement Award Coordinator will need to complete our online application form.
You will need to provide us with information about your organisation and the individual leader who has been nominated. The application must also be supported by a second adult individual who is willing to give their contact details and who knows of the person being nominated.
You can save and return to the form later (e.g. if you realise you are missing information when you start to fill out the application form).
Once you have sent us your application you will receive an automated confirmation email with your unique reference number – please save a copy of this for your records.
How many Leader Awards can we give out?
Schools and clubs operating a bronze, silver or gold Achievement Award scheme can recognise one Leader each calendar year.
If your group operates multiple Achievement Award schemes, or if you are an umbrella group, then you may be eligible to apply more than one Leader Award each year. Please speak to your Grants Officer if this is the case